Step one: calm down. Technology is hard, but it’s doable – you can do it!
- Is it plugged in? I know, I know. But seriously – is the power cord actually plugged in, and is the switch that controls the outlet turned on? Is the USB device plugged into the wall (if it needs power) AND the computer?
- Is it turned on? I know, again. But seriously. Is all the software you need running?
- The Restart Cycle. First, close all the programs you have open and re-open them again. Sometimes things just get stuck and need to be rebooted. Next, restart your computer and try again. Still no?
- Check the documentation for your software. Make sure it is compatible with your operating system, you’re not missing any necessary software, or there isn’t a new update that will fix the bug.
- Read the forums for other people who have had the same problem and fixed it.
- Send an email to email@example.com. I’ll do my best to get back to you when I can.